Monday, January 12, 2009

the reader


Moira+I went to the cinema for the first time this year to see “The Reader” at The Watershed (no, I didn’t have another “bed day”!). Very glad we did. Beautifully-crafted, haunting love story set in post-war Germany – essentially all about coming to terms with the past. Kate Winslet is just brilliant (overnight Golden Globe winner for best supporting actress). Despite less than encouraging reviews in The Guardian and The Observer, I found it absolutely riveting.
PS: Moira+I set ourselves a target of going to the cinema (DVDs don’t count!) once a month during the course of 2008 (our previous average was about once every 18 months!). Well, I’ve just checked and it appears that we managed a total of ten visits last year – pretty good for us!

No comments: