Saturday, October 17, 2009

films+family+friends


My wonderful daughters+sons-in-law and lovely friend Heather gave me £120 worth of cinema tokens(!) for the Watershed for my 60th birthday. They’ve been just the most brilliant birthday presents! Since the beginning of February, I’ve seen some 17 films there (very nearly two a month – which is pretty amazing for me!).
Moira and I have just returned from watching Peter Strickland’s “Katalin Varga” (we were supposed to be seeing Terry Gilliam’s “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus”, but it was sold out!). I’ve seen it described as a “road movie, a revenge narrative and a compassionate study of the drawn-out effects of trauma”. It’s set within beautiful Romanian landscapes and manages to capture an intense atmosphere which it maintains throughout (heightened by a wonderful use of sounds). It’s a powerful, unsettling, but captivating film and I’m really pleased we went to see it.
Anyway, huge thanks again to Heather+Ruth+Stu+Hannah+Fee+Alice+Dave. You’re all stars!
Photo: excellent Hilda Peter, who plays the Katalin Varga character.

No comments: