Friday, June 04, 2010

driving over lemons


I bought this book second-hand in the Tobacco Factory Market last Sunday and have really enjoyed it. It tells the story of the author, Chris Stewart, and his wife setting up home in a remote, dilapidated, peasant farm in the mountains of Andalucia, Spain – virtually on a whim, with no farming experience and little in the way of practical know-how. It’s over 10 years old, but I loved it – it’s funny, optimistic, beautifully-written and has a refreshing innocence.
I have absolutely no desire to emulate him, but I found it absolutely enchanting.

2 comments:

popsydaisy said...

hello :) I'm a friend of Alice's... Forgive my intrusion but I noticed this post, I loved this book too, there's a second book called 'A Parrot in the Pepper Tree', and a third, 'The Almond Blossom Appreciation Society'... look out for them... I don't think either are quite as good as the first, but very entertaining nonetheless :)
Rachel

bigdaddystevieB said...

Very many thanks for this Rachel (Alice is just trying to show off that she has lots of friends!)... I've been on half-term break this week and the book was a perfect match for the good weather and my holiday mood! I'll certainly read his other books - but suspect that I'll need to space them out with a few more difficult reads!
x