Saturday, January 08, 2011

the king's speech


Moira+I went to see Tom Hooper’s ‘The King’s Speech’ this afternoon. I thought it was superb. Colin Firth in the title role is simply brilliant, but I was also incredibly impressed by Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter amongst a star-studded cast. I certainly found that it was a film that played with one’s emotions – some very funny, laugh-out-loud moments; some scenes that were painfully difficult to watch; and others that had me feeling quite emotional as the king slowly conquers his stammer demons.
You really have to see this film (if Firth doesn’t win an Oscar, the one who does win will have to be amazingly good!).
PS: The film hasn’t made me into becoming a big Royalist (although I did get my Queen’s Scout badge, so perhaps I shouldn’t say this?).
PPS: Despite booking tickets, Moira+I decided to join the queue VERY early in order to secure a decent seat (which we did). However, we also found ourselves standing next to a group of old women (well, they were 10 years older than us anyway!) and their incessant chatter and constant complaining about anybody and everybody had me on the verge of interjecting! Fortunately, I didn’t.

No comments: