Monday, February 20, 2012

the dangerous method


Gareth, Alan+I went along to the Watershed yesterday afternoon (Moira wasn’t feeling well, so decided to give it a miss) to see David Cronenberg’s “A Dangerous Method”. It’s the story of the relationship between Carl Jung (Michael Fassbender) and his powerful mentor Sigmund Freud Viggo Mortensen) – complicated by a sado-masochistic affair between Jung and a sexually disturbed, intelligent young woman, Sabina Spielrein (Keira Knightley). The performances by all the leading actors were excellent (although I wasn’t quite convinced about Knightley’s accent). However, whilst I found the film’s look at the early days of psychoanalysis both objective and historical – I also felt it was strangely ordinary (some might say it was nothing more than an opportunity for the celebrated director to explore his longstanding interest in Freud… and perhaps to provide images of Fassbender spanking Knightley!)?
Even more strangely(?), at various points in the film, I found myself thinking that Keira Knightly would make an excellent Frida Kahlo!!

No comments: