Thursday, March 22, 2012

grumpy old man… and parking on corners


At the risk of someone accusing me of being a grumpy old man (who ME?), I’ve decided to post something about people who decide to park their cars on street corners. Our neighbourhood streets here in Southville are often pretty narrow and it makes visibility at junctions (for pedestrians and motorists alike) incredibly difficult AND potential hazardous. Back in December 2008, I blogged about a local blog here in Southville which essentially named and shamed guilty motorists in Southville (I note that they’ve subsequently made it a “by invitation only” blog – presumably after receiving hatemail from car owners!).
In my “retired state”, I am now a far more frequent pedestrian (and someone who often wheels a pushchair!) than driver and perhaps notice “pavement abuse” far more than I used to, but the Highway Code makes it ABSOLUTELY clear:
Rule 243: do not park opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space.
Traffic wardens (occasionally!) patrol our local streets but, as far as I’m aware, never hand out tickets to the parking culprits. Why not?
I can feel a letter to the Council coming on!
Photo: the owner of this car regularly ‘dumps” his/her car across pavements at road junctions and/or parks without due consideration for other road-users and pedestrians… it’s probably just as well that I’ve never met them!

No comments: