Thursday, July 11, 2013

the ugly, depressing world of yah-boo politics


I listened to “Yesterday in Parliament” on Radio 4 last night… and, in particular, the so-called “Prime Minister’s Questions”. Although I’d already seen snippets on television, I have to say that it left me feeling utterly depressed and embarrassed at the state of politics in this country.
It was an absolute farce… a wall of noise – from both sides of the House.
Sadly, there WERE some serious points to be made – funding of political parties; donations from trade unions and hedge funds alike; MPs’ second jobs; MPs’ pay etc – but such matters were lost in the ridiculous shouting contest that PMQ has become.
At a time when the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, the country is crying out for sensible, measured, political debate… but there seems little chance of that.
Do politicians wonder at the disillusionment of the British public? Do most of them really care?  
As things stand, I won’t be supporting any of the major parties come the next General Election… and, although I acknowledge that my individual vote will not have the slightest effect on which party/parties form the next government, I’ll be voting for the Green Party.

No comments: