Friday, January 05, 2018

walk with me…

Moira and I went to the Watershed this afternoon (note: they’ve increased afternoon ticket prices for us oldies to £5!) to see “Walk With Me”, directed by Marc J Francis and Max Pugh). It’s a contemplative journey into the world of mindfulness and 91 year-old Zen Buddhist master Thich Nhat Hanh… and an insight into life within the secluded monastic community of Plum Village in south-west France (Hanh’s teachings are credited with the phenomenal success of ‘mindfulness’).
As you might imagine, much of this documentary film is about quietness, stillness and contemplation. Footage of the monastic community in rural France (the monks have taken vows to refrain from worldly pleasures) provides a very real sense of daily life and routine (even when opened up to the visitors there on retreat). What’s not so successful in my view is the community’s trip to America. Whilst this provided some interesting insights and experiences, what I really wanted to discover was more about life in Plum Village, more about some of the individual monks and perhaps more about their beliefs.
A fascinating, gentle and enjoyable film… but one that didn’t quite come up to my expectations.
PS: Benedict Cumberbatch (apparently a long-time admirer – of Hanh, not me!) recites some of Hanh’s writings during the course of the film, but comes across far too plummy and actor-like for my taste.
PPS: I wasn’t too impressed by a somewhat tall young woman who (with her friend) arrived late; climbed over the front row of seats and installed herself directly in front of a small old lady (who ended up having to shuffle sideways in order to be able to see the screen); opened up a loud packet of popcorn and other sweets (look, this is the Watershed, for goodness sake… and hardly in the spirit of ‘mindfulness’!!); and then departed (once again climbing over seats – this time without her friend) just over half way through the film… and never returned. I wasn’t terribly impressed. Yes, I’m a cinema snob. I know!).  

No comments: